Welcome to the Senedd's new website. If you have any difficulty using this site please get in touch.
News Journalism in Wales: Welsh Government's proposed budget allocation of £100,000 a year.
- This consultation has completed. It ran from Wednesday, 1 November 2017 to Friday, 10 November 2017
- View the background to this consultation
- View all current consultations
Purpose of the consultation
The Culture, Welsh Language and Communications Committee has been looking into News Journalism in Wales. The Committee have received both written evidence and oral evidence over recent months.
Before the report is finalised the Committee would like to hear your views on the Welsh Government’s proposed budget allocation of £100,000 a year in 2018-19 and 2019-20 for “start-up grants for journalists seeking to set up their own business in hyperlocal news”.
The Cabinet Secretary (in a recent evidence session) stated that he has yet to finalise the details of how this funding will be used, and invited the Committee to submit recommendations. We would therefore be interested in your views on:
- How this funding could best be used;
- Whether this is a sufficient amount of money to make a difference to the provision of quality news journalism in Wales.
The deadline for submissions to this exercise is 17:00 on Friday, 10 November.
If you have any questions or would like further information please do not hesitate to contact us. For clarity, there is no designated form for submissions. For those who would like to submit their response electronically, please send your submission in the body of an e-mail or as an attachment to SeneddCWLC@assembly.wales
For those who would like to submit their views in hard copy, letters can be addressed as follows:
Culture, Welsh Language Communication Committee, National Assembly for Wales, Ty Hywel, Cardiff Bay, CF99 1NA.
Providing Written Evidence
The National Assembly for Wales has two official languages, Welsh and English.
In line with the Assembly’s Official Languages Scheme, the Committee requests that documents or written responses to consultations intended for publication or use in National Assembly proceedings are submitted bilingually. When documents or written responses are not submitted bilingually, we will publish in the language submitted, stating that it has been received in that language only.
We expect other organisations to implement their own standards or schemes and to comply with their statutory obligation.
Disclosure of information
Please ensure that you have considered the Assembly’s policy on disclosure of information before submitting information to the Committee.
- NJ01 - Llanelli Online PDF 47 KB View as HTML (1) 13 KB
- NJ02 - West Wales News Review PDF 41 KB View as HTML (2) 8 KB
- NJ03 - Tim Strang PDF 38 KB View as HTML (3) 8 KB
- NJ04a - Cardiff University PDF 353 KB View as HTML (4) 44 KB
- NJ04b - Cardiff University PDF 38 KB View as HTML (5) 8 KB
- NJ05 - National Union of Journalists PDF 202 KB View as HTML (6) 12 KB
- NJ06 - Institute of Welsh Affairs PDF 172 KB
Should you wish to speak to someone regarding this consultation, please use the below contact details:
Culture, Welsh Language and Communications Committee
Telephone: 0300 200 6565