Concise Minutes - Culture, Welsh Language and Communications Committee


Meeting Venue:

Committee Room 2 - Senedd

Meeting date: Thursday, 2 May 2019

Meeting time: 09.32 - 12.33
This meeting can be viewed
on Senedd TV at:
http://senedd.tv/en/5530


------

Attendance

Category

Names

Assembly Members:

Bethan Sayed AM (Chair)

Mick Antoniw AM

Vikki Howells AM

Delyth Jewell AM

David Melding AM

Witnesses:

Richard Bellamy, Heritage Lottery Fund

Diane Hebb, Arts Council of Wales

Dr Eva Elliott, Honorary Research Fellow, School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University

Professor Morag McDermont, University of Bristol Law School

Committee Staff:

Martha Da Gama Howells (Second Clerk)

Lowri Jones (Deputy Clerk)

Robin Wilkinson (Researcher)

 

<AI1>

1       Introductions, apologies, substitutions and declarations of interest

1.1        The Chair welcomed Members to the meeting.

1.2        Apologies were received from Jayne Bryant AM, Caroline Jones AM and Rhianon Passmore AM.

</AI1>

<AI2>

2       Count me in! - Inquiry into the role of arts and culture in addressing poverty and social exclusion: Public funding

2.1 Witnesses responded to questions from Members of the Committee.

</AI2>

<AI3>

3       Count me in! - Inquiry into the role of arts and culture in addressing poverty and social exclusion: Academics

3.1 Witnesses responded to questions from Members of the Committee.

</AI3>

<AI4>

4       Paper(s) to note

</AI4>

<AI5>

4.1   Correspondence with the Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport & Tourism regarding Radio in Wales

4.1 Members agreed to write again to the Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism to seek clarification of the definition of a ‘strong case’ in relation to the re-establishment of the radio fund.

</AI5>

<AI6>

4.2   Correspondence with the Welsh Government regarding the Welsh Language Standards

4.2 Members noted the paper.

</AI6>

<AI7>

4.3   Correspondence with WJEC regarding the teaching of Welsh history and culture in schools

4.3 Members agreed to discuss this paper during the private part of the meeting.

</AI7>

<AI8>

4.4   Correspondence with ESTYN regarding the teaching of Welsh history and culture in schools

4.4 Members agreed to discuss this paper during the private part of the meeting.

</AI8>

<AI9>

4.5   Correspondence with BBC Cymru regarding the BBC Annual plan

4.5 Members agreed to write to the  director for the nations and regions to ask if Wales could be removed from the proposals to change the level of news outputs in the morning.  

</AI9>

<AI10>

4.6   Inquiry into the role of arts and culture in addressing poverty and social exclusion: Additional evidence from Age Cymru

4.6 Members noted the paper.

</AI10>

<AI11>

4.7   Correspondence with the Welsh Government regarding the teaching of Welsh history and culture in schools

4.7 Members agreed to discuss this paper during the private part of the meeting.

</AI11>

<AI12>

5       Motion under Standing Order 17.42(vi) to resolve to exclude the public from the meeting for the remainder of the meeting

5.1 The motion was agreed.

</AI12>

<AI13>

6       Private debrief

6.1 Members discussed the evidence received.

</AI13>

<AI14>

7       Film and major television production in Wales: Consideration of draft report

7.1 Members discussed and agreed the report with minor amendments.

</AI14>

<AI15>

8       Music industry scoping paper

8.1 Members discussed and agreed the scoping paper with minor amendments.

</AI15>

<TRAILER_SECTION>

</TRAILER_SECTION>

<LAYOUT_SECTION>

1.          FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</LAYOUT_SECTION>

<TITLE_ONLY_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.          FIELD_TITLE

</TITLE_ONLY_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<HEADING_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_TITLE

</HEADING_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<TITLED_COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</TITLED_COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_SUMMARY

</COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

 

<SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.1          FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

 

<TITLE_ONLY_SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.2          FIELD_TITLE

</TITLE_ONLY_SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>